Cakes

Cakes
Life of Cakes

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Healthy Treats for my Sweets

I spend a majority of my time in the kitchen baking and my kids spend a majority of their time back and forth watching. Which then leads into ...Mom, can I taste the icing? We like to call it "Quality Control". After all kid's are very honest in their answers, so why not let them taste and tell me if it is good or not.

It's times like these I start to feel a little guilty. Some days when asked.."What did you have for lunch?" the response is "a piece of cake." So ....I have started to incorporate vegetables and fruits into their sweet treats.
Does it make me feel 100% good? No! Just a little less guilty. One recipe that I came across that I would love to share are called "BABY CAKES. My children loved them and have asked for them everyday. They are more like a muffin than a cake. (I have shared this on Facebook so bare with me if you are seeing this AGAIN!!!) Also, making these at home for your kids means you are also getting rid of all of the preservatives and dyes. If you can't pronounce it don't eat it.

2 1/4 cup of all purpose flour                                   
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks ) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of honey
1 jar (4 oz.) pumpkins with pears baby food
2 jars (4 oz.) applesuace and apricots baby food.
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1/4 cup of pecans(optional)

1.) heat oven to 350. Line 2 mini muffin pans with paper liners. ( i spray mine with a non-stick cooking spray)

2.) In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda-set aside
3.) Beat eggs, butter, sugars, and honey in a large bowl on medium speed until well combined
add baby food and cinnamon: beat until smooth. Fold in pecans. Slowly add flour mixture using a sifter mix until well combined.
4.) Fill paper liners 3/4 of way. Bake at 350 for about 12 min(check it might take longer depending upon oven) Take out and cool.

I substituted the baby food flavors with 1-4 oz. jar of mixed vegetable, 1-4oz. jar of sweet potato and pear, and 1-oz. jar of apricot fruit medley.

They are moist and delicious! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment